Photo Diary - Pompeii/Mount Vesuvius


Sometimes in life, when I'm exploring around a location that is steeped in history, I get this feeling.  I don't get it too often, but the feeling is this, I'm standing in the middle of Pompeii (see the pic above) and I have this wave hit me of what it would have been like for the folk living there back in 79 A.D (yes I did just say A.D - madness). I'm imagining what it felt like, what the people were like, what the ruins looked like in their full glory and I can almost feel like I am there. Pompeii gave me that feeling.  I hope the photos from my trip I've included below give you a snapshot of how magnificent this place is and how domineering Mount Vesuvius is in the background of it.  If you ever get the chance to visit a neighbouring city such as Naples or Rome, head over here for the day.  You will not regret it.  And trust me on this, head to an authentic Naples pizza restaurant while you're near Naples. Just trust me on that one!


















My Pompeii/Mount Vesuvius Top 5:

  • If your schedule allows, explore Pompeii in the morning with Mount Vesuvius dominating the ruins in the background.  This means you get to catch the devastation caused by the volcano first.  After lunch, hike up Mount Vesuvius and see how truly magnificent this volcano is.
  • For lunch, head to one of the authentic Naples pizza restaurants dotted around Pompeii. If you need a reason why, just look at my pizza picture in the photo diary above. Naples is the home of pizza after all!
  • I would highly recommend having a tour guide for the ruins at Pompeii.  As good as an audio guide would be, a local talking you through the history of the area and pinpointing exactly what each ruin represents, is priceless.
  • No matter what it takes (you might not have a wealth of time if on a tour, or you might not be in your fittest shape) hike right to the very top of Mount Vesuvius.  We were short of time (and bloody knackered!) but I dragged my ass up there and the views around the Bay of Naples were OUTSTANDING.
  • On your way up Vesuvius, stop at one of the little pit stop stalls offering you shelter and grab yourself a Limoncello.