Barcelona - Where it all Began


I’m going back a little in time with this post.  Barcelona was a trip I took back in June 2015 and it is probably one of the most important trips I’ve had, which is why I've found myself writing about it now. Barcelona was where everything really began with my love of travel and exploring. I had just broken up with someone I had been seeing, and although I wasn’t devastated by the break-up (it was the right thing for us both), I was still sad and had gotten a little sick and tired of repeating the same pattern with the type of guys I met/was drawn to.  On my way to work the next day I just got this really strong feeling that I wanted to get away and travel and explore somewhere new on my own…and can you believe, by the time I reached the office that morning, I’d booked it.  I’d booked 5 days in Barcelona, jetting off two weeks later.  I threw away my usual cautionary ways of spending weeks debating on whether or not to do it and just booked it. 

That feeling…it’s a feeling I’ve had a few times since and I’ve just gotten up and went, whether it was a feeling to cycle round Rothesay or book a solo trip to Rome. I learned to trust that feeling, as crazy as it sounds, it knows me well enough to point me in the right direction for what I need/want and has led to some of the best, most memorable and unexpected moments.

Now I’m not saying that every time you breakup with someone you should book a holiday/trip, by no means. But for me, it was the best thing I could’ve done as I found what I loved, and that was getting out and seeing the world and trust me, I’ve never looked back once.  I know some people might think twice about a solo trip but it wasn’t daunting at all to me, I was just ready to go and enjoy every moment. Barcelona was a time that I spent hitting the beach basking in the sunshine, taking the open top sightseeing bus and stopping at every single stop to see what I could explore, running around museums, cathedrals, restaurants, cafes and even a zoo!

So this feature, is for anyone that’s been through a breakup, considering solo travel or even just wondering why you should visit Barcelona.  Trust me, whatever reason you’re thinking about going for, you will not regret it. 


Leanne x

BARCELONETA BEACH

First things first, get that bikini on, a picnic to rival no other and get yourself down to the beach. Relax, people watch, dip your toes in the sea...just enjoy the peace and time you have to yourself.





LA BOQUERIA MARKET

Head over here in the morning and stock up on some fruit juices, pastries and sweeties. EAT. THEM. ALL.




TIBIDABO

Take the cable car up this mountain for some of the best views across the city and coastline. Jump on the ferris wheel, take selfies, visit the Sagrada Corazon church.







Castell de Montjuic

This one was tough for me but so worth it. I'm not a fan (at all) of cable cars - pair my innate fear of heights/flying/enclosed spaces and add in a cable car dangling in the air and I'm not in a happy environment.  But I closed my eyes, remembered to breathe (most of the time) and within 10 minutes not only had I conquered my fears, but I was treated to a spectacular fortress sitting perched at the top with plenty to explore and sublime views across the coast.  Mindblowing!






Spanish Wine + Friends

I headed straight from Montjuic to a bar and stayed there until closing catching up with my old friend Katey and some new friends that made this night my best in Barcelona.  Too much Spanish wine...said noone, ever.  So make sure you make time to catchup with anyone you might know that can show you some of the local night haunts.




Parc Guell

For those interested in checking out the impressive work of Gaudi, head over to Parc Guell.  Even if you don't have time to wait to get into the monumental zone (it's ticketed), you can still walk around the park and marvel at the sheer beauty of it and even see the monumental zone from afar.





Parc de la Ciutadella

If you're still looking for some more park action, look no further than this one.  It has that WOW factor.  Take a book, water, snacks and just spend a few hours relaxing here.  It even has a zoo which is worth checking out.





Poble Espanyol (The Spanish Village)

Not too far from Montjuic, Poble Espanyol (otherwise known as The Spanish Village) is a beautiful little mini-village full of quaint shops and restaurants, perfect for an afternoon stroll and bite to eat.


Magic Fountain of Montjuic 

A 10 minute walk from The Spanish Village finds you at the Magic Fountains.  Although perhaps best seen at night for their light shows, during the day, they are still absolutely beautiful and worth a stop if you are in the area.



Beach Gym

Yeah, no idea why I took this picture either...