Eating Out Guide: Glasgow


There’s something exciting happening with the Glasgow food scene right now.  Everywhere you go there’s an amazing new place popping up to try, and not only that, unlike a few years back when you’d find it difficult as a veggie to find a wealth of options on the menu, nowadays everywhere is catering really well for us veggie guys! Praise the foodie lords! So on that note, I’ve put together a list of my favourite restaurants in Glasgow.  I’ve got you covered from breakfast right through to lunch, dinner and drinks.  Glasgow – I love ya!

BREAKFAST

Roaster’s Deli
192 St Vincent Street. Roastersdeli.com

OMFG. My reaction when this plate of pancakes was placed in front of me. A trio of Oreo, raspberry white chocolate and New York cheesecake...pancake heaven.  Best pancakes in town.  Also try out their grilled cheese sandwiches (including a Mac N Cheese one) and the massive veggie brekkies.  Yum yum.

Riverhill Café
3 West Nile Street. Riverhillcafe.com
Via Riverhill Cafe

They do a top notch tattie scone brioche roll here.  Coupled with great hot choc, it was my go-to brekkie catchup of choice when I worked in the city centre.  And did someone mention cake?  As they have it here. In ample supply.

LUNCH

Café Strange Brew
Pollockshaws Road. Facebook.com/cafestrangebrew

Located in the heart of Shawlands (they’re just about to move across the road from their old venue FYI), rock up to this place at the weekend for one of the best brunches in town.  They do one hell of an almighty fine soup and sandwich deal.  My recommendation would be the halloumi, chilli jam, spring onion and leaves on their bloomer bread.  Divine.

Topolabamba
89 St Vincent Street. Topolabamba.com
Via Topolabamba
As soon as you walk through the door you’ll get hit with the Mexican street food vibe this place is famous for.  Tapas style Mexican food that get your taste buds dancing – holy guacamole (sorry!).  You’ll find classic Mexican dishes like burritos and enchiladas on the menu as well as sharing options of items like taquitos, quesidillas, huevos ranchero etc.  For the bargain hunters out there, if you fancy a late lunch, head there mid-week between 3-6pm to try out their £1 tacos.

Big Feed Glasgow
Via BigFeedGla

This street food market launched earlier this month and now looks set to be a regular occurrence at its Govan warehouse location.  If you’re looking for food, drinks, live music, entertainment and something a little bit different, then this place is for you.  Last weekend’s outing saw vendors such as Chompsky, Nomad Pizza, Street Food Putter Club, Julie’s Street Kitchen, mobile prosecco bar Fizz Buz and more.

DINNER

Opium
191 Hope Street.  Opiumrestaurant.co.uk
Via Opium

For me, this one is one of the best date night venues in town. Absolutely stunning décor, beautiful food (try the spring rolls – OMG the sauce – and the macau vegetables curry), beautiful wine, everything about this place is just damn beautiful.  It’s more upmarket with its prices but worth it for a treat night.

Lebowskis
67 Nithsdale Street, Lebowskis.co.uk

If it’s burgers you’re after, then you need to check this place out.  The veggie burger was one of the best I’ve had and trust me on this one....get the devil tats, they are out of this world amazing.  They also have an extensive cocktail menu and board games, making it the perfect foodie night out. I’ll be checking out their sister location in Finnieston asap.

Church on the Hill
16 Algie Street. Churchonthehill.co.uk

For me, this one’s a winner for its relaxed atmosphere, food that makes you not want to stop eating and great cocktails and beer to wash it all down with.  Hit them up during the week for the pub quiz night or just chill there for a few hours at the weekend and relax.

Balbirs
7 Church Street.  Balbirs.co.uk
Via Balbirs

It seems crazy that I’m saying this, but until last year, I had never had an Indian meal.  I know, crazy right!?  The best Indian I’ve had (since this phenomenal culinary discovery) was here at Balbirs.  The restaurant interior is stunning, you feel like you’ve been swept away to New York in the 1920s which sounds crazy to say about an Indian restaurant but this is fine dining Indian at its best.  Get the chickpea starter.

DRINKS

Black Dove
67 Kilmarnock Road. Blackdovedining.com
Via Black Dove Dining 

I don’t know where to start with this one.  Mainly as I just love the damn cocktails in this place. The drumstick cocktail was a flashback to my youth.  Then there’s the Brockmans Bramble.  My advice is to grab a seat at the front of the restaurant, order a few cocktails, order a slice of the salted caramel tart and watch the world go by.  Another one with a beautiful interior also.  A welcome addition to the southside.  I’m just praying to the cheese Gods that they add a Mac n Cheese to the menu because I think it would pretty much jump to my number 1 Mac spot.

Boudoir 
Merchant Square, Candleriggs.  Boudoirwinebar.com

This place will always have a special place in my heart as it was where I went on my first date with my boyfriend.  We talked and laughed over a bottle of wine and the rest as they say is history. So you know you can trust me on this one being a great date night venue.

Howlin’ Wolf
100 Bath Street.  Thehowlinwolf.co.uk
Via Howlin' Wolf 

Intimate feel, live music, great service...when I step inside this place I feel like I’ve rocked up in Beale Street, Memphis.  Definitely one to add to your ‘date night’ list.  That includes mates as well, many a night has been spent with my friend Karen and a bottle of wine in here.  Just watch out for the creepy red lighting when you’re taking pictures...

Swing LTD
183 Hope Street.  Swingltd.co.uk
Via SwingLTD

Head underground and be treated to a scene right out the roaring 1920s.  Live jazz, blues, soul and funk bands, aerial acrobats, performance acts....just sit back, sip a cocktail and some champagne and enjoy this unique venue.  Make sure you let your hair down and get up and dance too.

Malones
57-59 Sauchiehall Lane.  Malonesbarglasgow.com
Via Malones Glasgow

Okay, this one is here because every single time I’ve been, I have had an insanely fun night.  Good craic (ahem), fantastic live Irish music and good banter with the crowds.  This place just has it.  Although please please stop playing Kings of Leon.  Gimmie Galway Girl and the Hills of Donegal and I’m off jigging like I’m Michael Flatley...which I’m not.  So thank you to the punters for being most kind during my dodgy Irish reel ‘perfomances’.

FURTHER AFIELD...

If you fancy a short day trip to foodie heaven outside Glasgow, get these places on your list stat!

The George Hotel, Inverary – head here for the best Mac n Cheese ever. Seriously, it’s the best Mac I’ve ever had.  Hands down.  I’ve heard it does the best fish & chips too.

La Barca, Helensburgh – I was completely blown away with this place on a recent visit. Mouthwatering tapas dishes, plenty of veggie options, decent prices and great hearty portion sizes.  I’ll be back here as soon as possible.

Duck Bay Hotel, Loch Lomond – beautiful food in a stunning setting on the banks of Loch Lomond.  Watch the boats speed by through the floor to ceiling windows while dining on the tasty dishes on the menu (I recommend the fajitas and the sundaes).  Great for lunch on a hot summers day.

Oak Tree Inn, Balmaha – the Mac n Cheese in this place is bomb.  Perfect coupled with a hike up nearby Conic Hill.  You will crawl into this place with sheer glee and demolish the mac in about 3 seconds flat.  No seriously, I pretty much achieved that last time...

The Mill House, Stewarton – I stumbled across this restaurant a few weeks ago and WOW. Beautiful décor inside with cute little booths, food was great with the set menu providing really good value for a mid-week meal.

Anstruther Fish & Chips – the Mac n Cheese I got here could pretty much have served the 5000.  Coupled with a side of chips, bread & butter and a can of juice, all for only around £8 and I was truly impressed by this place.


Leanne x