Life's Too Short


There will be moments in our lives when things can become a little too much for us. Whether it is one significantly big issue or a few minor small matters which feel like they’re flying at and smacking into us repeatedly one after another. We’ve all been there. Recently, when little things where slowly beginning to knock at my psyche and challenge me, I ran a bath, made myself stop for 30 mins and process why they were getting to me. I then came across a quote last week which really hit me and nailed it on the head and it was this: ’this too shall pass’. And it has dual meaning. Not only will the hurt, pain or little things that are bugging you pass, but so too will the moments of fun, excitement and happiness. So we truly do need to try, as much as possible, to live in the moment and cherish our happy little moments while they last. But also, importantly, not let those little bugbear moments keep chipping away at us: life’s too short.

So, with that in mind, I wanted to create a little list of things for us all to think about. A few positive affirmations to think about around the notion that life is too short. Forgetting for a few minutes all the madness that seems to be going on in the world right now. So grab a quiet space, sit back and see what you think.

Life’s Too Short...

1. To not take second chances.

OK, so you may have heard the phrase ‘life’s too short to give/have second chances, you need to do it now’ thrown about over the years but consider this...is it? If you go for a job interview (even a few) in your dream career sector, should you just give up after a few knockbacks? The answer is no. You might try something else for a few years and then realise that actually, that is the career I still want to have. My advice – just go for it. I truly believe everything happens for a reason so your moment will come. If it doesn’t work out in the initial career you had planned, you WILL find something else but at least you took that second chance and gave everything to it.

2. To think I’m too old to do X,Y or Z.

I read an article the other week that was titled: ‘British man buys his first home at the age of 98’. Enough said.

3. To overthink things.

When he says he’s too tired for sex. He really is too tired for sex. It isn’t that he doesn’t fancy you as much or he noticed those extra few pounds you put on after three burger nights in a row. He’s just tired. What is vital however, is communication. Talk about it. This goes for everything you overthink. Whether it’s why did my colleague get the promotion and not me? Why did I not get that new job and so on. Do not waste your time overthinking it. It’s not worth it. And...it’s already happened. In the past. And you’re here, in the present. Kicking ass.

4. To not let things go.

For most of my breakups I had in my 20s, I found myself overanalyzing them (and to an extent me). Why did he do that, what could I have done more of/better? Well the answer is as simple as: because that’s who he is and, you were just being you/who you are and he just wasn’t the right guy to appreciate that, or you. Don’t let yourself be wrapped up in any form of self pity. It’s something I sure am proud of myself for learning in my 20s. Let yourself feel those feelings (you need to), then LET GO. Whether it’s to do with a guy, a job or an argument with a family member. Repressed feelings are the worst so think about it for a little bit (a little), then let it go. And yes, annoyingly the Frozen song is actually in my head right now. Dang!

5. To avoid those little tingly feelings in your gut.

Yeah, you know the ones. The ones that seem to get all tingly for some reason when you’re considering something. They’re there for a reason. Don’t overthink them. Just recognize that they are there and think: why?

6. To not make time for the ones you love.

We can all get caught up in work, social life, house chores, fitness etc and before we know it, it’s been a month since you’ve caught up with your gran (sorry gran). I’m bad at this sometimes too but since I’ve now got it noted down here, in writing, it’s something I need to get better at as I don’t spend as much quality time with my family, friends and boyfriend as I’d like to. Think about this for you too.

7. To worry about calories.

I’ve never counted them. I’ve not weighed myself since I was about 16 years old being dragged onto the scales in my doctors office. While it may work for a some people, I don’t believe calorie counting works for everyone. Not me, that’s for sure. I like Mac n Cheese so I don’t want to know it has enough calories in it to kill a cat. Nope. What I do want to do though, is manage my intake of bad foods and good foods. Be healthy and active during the week and give yourself a break at the weekend. If you want to go for pizza on a Saturday night, you better damn go get that pizza on a Saturday night. But just be kind to your body and relieve some of that naughty eating by going an extra walk or getting out a hike: it makes you even more thankful for that pizza.

8. To not be thankful.

For everything. We are lucky to be here. I am lucky to be surrounded by some amazing family and friends and I am truly thankful for them each day. I am thankful that (bar my highly annoying right now knees), I am fit and healthy, have a job, ate a rather tasty doughnut today and it’s finally bloody sunny in Glasgow! What are you thankful for today? Just ask yourself that, every once in a while and I promise, even when you’re having a tough day, it’ll make a small smile appear on your face.

9. To not take care of your wellbeing.

You know when you’re on a plane and the air stewardesses repeatedly say that you must put your own oxygen mask on first before helping others? Well, the same goes for yourself and your wellbeing. Just like not putting on your own oxygen mask first means you can’t help others with theirs (you’ll be knocked out with lack of oxygen most likely), so does not taking care of your own wellbeing. You cannot help others if you aren’t feeling 100% up to the task. Make time for yourself. Go on a trip. Get out in nature for a few hours. Walk around the park. Have a lovely lunch somewhere. Create a sanctuary in a little space in your home and read a book. Have a luxuriously long hot bath. Just make time for you. There are so many heartbreaking cases of mental illnesses going around right now and it’s time we talk about it and people acknowledge it.

10. To have regrets

Now if you killed someone (which I hope you haven’t) you should probably have a few but generally, for all the things we do in our lives, we did those things for a reason and we are who we are today and are where we are today, because of them. Our mistakes are part of what makes us us. So I’ll relay us to number 4 on this list: let things go. If you did something to hurt someone, say you’re sorry and truly mean it (otherwise don’t just say it) and then move on. If you didn’t have the confidence to go for that dream opportunity that arose for you, don’t regret it, just don’t let it pass you by ever again and go for it with everything next time. 


So remember: this too shall pass.

Leanne x