Veggie Notes - Six by Nico


In the few short months since it's arrival smack bang in the centre of Finnieston, Six by Nico has become somewhat of a stalwart on the Glasgow food scene. It's 6 course tasting menu (theme of which changes every 6 weeks) has become somewhat infamous and refreshing in amongst the influx of pizza and burger places that have stolen the scene over the last year or so.

With previous incarnations including; 'Chippie', 'Childhood' and 'Picnic', I am so glad I held out visiting for the fourth theme: Route 66 - an All-American slammer of a menu.

I won't lie. I had a little bit of trepidation about this place. Was it going to match up to my high expectations or be a little bit overstretched/overkill? It has had the odd mixed review (mainly about the seating), so what was I really in for?

Finally rocking up to Six by Nico on a rainy Friday evening (seriously Glasgow, what IS going on with the weather pal?), we were shown to our cute little corner window seat. We were lucky to have our own separate table which I was really thankful for but having dined here when it was Table 11, the seating is just the same. Yes it's quite tight, but that kind of adds to the character. The waitress presented us with our menu for the night, as it's a taster menu you don't get a choice of what you're eating but I was excited to see what lay ahead.
Six by Nico - vegetarian menu
The veggie menu gets the thumbs up from me. Two of them actually. At £25 for 6 courses, it's pretty much a bargain for what you get. We decided to treat ourselves and opt for the wine pairing - at an additional £25 it does rack the bill up a little but it's a treat - and settle back listening to the Route 66 themed music playing in the background. But enough suspense already, here's the play by play of each of the dishes on the Route 66 menu.

Chicago - Trapenese Pesto, Goats Cheese, Candied Olive
OK, so this dish was my least favourite on the menu but that's mainly due to my dislike of all things goats cheese (the flavour doesn't really work for me). My prejudice aside, it was actually the first goats cheese dish that I found quite pleasant. A nice crispy base that was nice to crunch into. Didn't rock my boat however and there were other options coming up that were much more appetising.

What I did love throughout our tasting was that each course and wine pairing was presented and explained by the waitresses - they deserve a medal for such indepth knowledge that's for sure! But lovely touch.

Great Plains - Buffalo Mozzarella, Heritage Tomato, Fennel Crumb
On first look at the menu, this was the dish that I didn't expect to be overly bowled over by but boy was I wrong. The heritage tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella tasted so fresh and light. The balsamic dressing gets a 5 out of 5 here, it really made the dish. Mouthwatering wouldn't even do this dish justice. Spot on. Note: this is the first course where your wine pairing kicks in. And it's probably best they stick with the 5 glasses of wine as that was plenty enough for me (says the girl that staggered over to Kelvingrove Cafe afterwards - #disclaimer)

American Diner - Chickpea Pancake, Pearl Cous Cous, Yellow Pepper
The chickpea pancake - decent. The dressing - pretty damn decent. The pearl cous cous - flipping tasty!

Texas - Vegetarian Chilli, Polenta Cake Sweetcorn Salsa
Dish number 4 was my absolute favourite. Packed full of flavour, it was so fecking delicious! The mix of polenta cake, chilli, sweetcorn salsa topped with charred babycorn was simply put: heaven on a plate. I'm actually going to be trying this one at home.

New Mexico - Halloumi, Taco, Guacamole, Preserved Lime, Pickled Chilli
Halloumi seems to have become the resident restaurant go-to recently and no complaints from me there! The saltiness of the halloumi mixed with the guac, lime and chilli balanced this dish perfectly. My only complaint was that there could have been a little more taco. But that aside, this was my second favourite dish on the menu.

California - Lemon Tart, Orange Espuma, Red Wine Sorbet
I'm 5 glasses of wine down by this point and thoroughly enjoying this culinary tour of America. Our final stop for the night sees us heading West Coast to California and a very zesty lemon tart. The red wine sorbet adds a nice sour touch which I really liked. Perfect dessert to round off what was a near perfect 6 course tasting menu. Nico - in the words of our fellow Glaswegians - on yourself pal!

The Route 66 menu is available until 27th August so you don't have long to try it out. Cannot wait to see what lies ahead for the next theme!
Leanne x
P.S this is one place where you're going to need a reservation so book early to avoid disappointment.

Six by Nico, 1132 Argyle Street, Finnieston, Glasgow, G3 8TD