Veggie Notes - Japan Street Food


Discovering a new restaurant is like cat nip to me. Add in excellent food, cute decor and welcoming staff and I’m a very happy girl.

Having only opened in April this year, Japan Street Food is one to get yourself down to ASAP. Based in Paisley, it’s a bit out of the way for the Glasgow scene but we coupled a trip there with exploring the nearby (10 mins drive away) Glennifer Braes Country Park; making it a perfect leisurely Sunday afternoon. It’s also close to Paisley Gilmour Street station so handy for those coming via train.

The outside doesn’t do the place justice, it’s quite dark looking so you don’t really get a feel for what’s inside. But in a way, I quite liked that, as when entering you are then treated to a really cosy restaurant with lovely Japanese decor. It was actually quite beautiful and homely. Japan Street Food caters for both the sit-in and takeaway crowds so with only 3 tables available (a table of 2 and two tables of 4) it really was a nice cosy dining experience.



Looking over the menu I was happy to see a decent selection of veggie choices available (a new menu with even more veggie options is currently in the works I’m told). As it was lunchtime, I opted for the Pumpkin Korroke Katsu Curry and here’s where I add in my crazy disclaimer: this was my first experience of Japanese food... I always thought most Japanese dishes were predominantly catered towards the meat and seafood consumers but boy, was I so happy Japan Street Food had that Katsu Curry! It was a real eye opener to the Japanese culinary world.


The pumpkin korroke’s were lovely with a mix of crispy breadcrumbs and soft pumpkin inside: very moreish. The premium Japanese rice accompanying it was perfect, the right amount of sticky and, add in the Japanese curry sauce, and it was touching every spot of my taste buds. It was so good that I could’ve done with just a little more of the sauce. I also managed to get on OK with using the chopsticks to eat the dish but I did cheat a little and use the spoon a few times – oops!


The only thing I would have changed was the loud music in the background, it could be turned down a few notches. But I did like that the kitchen was right behind us so we could watch the chefs creating the dishes.


Since it was my first Japanese experience, I couldn’t not try a dessert. Myself and Tony opted to share the Chocolate Doroyaki Pancake. Chocolate ice cream wrapped in pancake with a dollop or strawberry sauce. HELLLLLLLLO!  


First experience of Japanese food =  success! Japan Street Food – I will be back to try out that new menu!

 Japan Street Food11 Renfrew Rd, Paisley PA3 4AF